From: Robert Pries
<robertpries@embarqmail.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Mon, July 30,
2012 12:32:32 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] July AIS Bulletin for Emembers

am delighted that members should want e-membership. Perhaps we have created
something of value. But apparently it is not enough value to pay for it. I am
life member. When I joined with life there was no e-membership. There was
no
Iris Encyclopedia and there was no Iris Register.  The amount I paid did
nothing
to provide for these services. Even though there was a period of high
interest
rates after I joined as a life member these were not enough to pay
for all the
bulletins I now enjoy. In fact presently AIS looses money on Life
members with
interest rates as low as they are at present. It is
disappointing that Life
members would feel cheated. They are receiving
services now that their
membership did not pay for. To think they cannot help
to pay for new services is
discouraging. I guess we all want something for
nothing. I do not mind paying
for things I use. I am sure there are life
members who have no internet
connections and perhaps cannot afford them. They
are proba!
bly perfectly happy with the bulletin. Originally it was believed
that e-members
would help to subsidize, at least a little, the costs of
regular print
membership. Although with the amount we spent on e-membership
from, grants,
donations, etc. I am not sure it has turned out to help much.
But e-members are
helping to pay the costs of what print members are getting,
but the print
members are crying foul that they should get what e-members get
all for free.
Who is trying to cheat whom.