Re: July AIS Bulletin for Emembers

The E-Membership was added to the AIS By-Laws by a vote of the AIS membership in 2011 as a new class :

"Electronic membership shall be the same as other forms of memberships with the exception that an e-member shall not receive the bulletin in a printed form but shall have access to it electronically. This e-membership may also include other electronic services which are unique to it. Members may choose to have both e-membership and another form of membership to receive both printed and electronic services. Holding two types of membership shall not duplicate voting privileges. E-members shall also receive the new member's packet and other information electronically. Electronic-membership shall be renewable annually"

The online registration database, irisregister, has been, from its inception, a service that was paid for separately from any AIS Membership class. It was, in fact, not a class of AIS Membership, Specifically, AIS Life Members were not given gratis subscriptions to irisregister. Irisregister has never been funded from the AIS General Fund, rather it was funded from the Electronic Services Restricted Fund (ESRF). The ESRF was initially funded by revenue from the Geek Dinner auction which in tern funded the initial development if irisregister. Since then the irisregister fees have covered its own costs and provided additional funding for other electronic services projects and enhancements.

To provide a basis of value for the AIS E-Membership irisregister was made part of the E-Membership. The then current subscribers to irisregister were made AIS E-Members. The subscription fee for irisregister had been $10.00 per year since it was made a paid-for service in September of 2003. In light of that and that the Board wished to enhance e-services with the addition of more electronic content, the Board set the annual fee for E-Membership at $15.00. No discounts for multiple year subscriptions were established.

E-Memberships were determined, per the By-Laws, to be AIS Memberships for the purpose of qualifying for an individual judgeship, the concomitant privilege of voting the AIS Awards Ballot and other requirements for membership (e.g., serving in any AIS position requiring previous AIS Membership).

Other than the issues mentioned above, there is no overlap between E-Memberships and the traditional (print) memberships.

John

John and Joanne Jones
Registrar-Recorder
American Iris Society