Regional Iris reccommendations

Dear Science Committee and others.

Tonight I received a call from the Missouri Botanical
Gardens asking if I could provide a list of Irises
that perform well in the St Louis area. Although it is
not hard to create such a list, it does take some
thought and time. I believe their intent is to have a
list showing the greatest diversity and proven
cultivars. I see this as an opportunity for them to be
recommending various types of Iris expanding the use
of plants within this area. They expected that we may
already have a website that would provide this type of
regional information and suggested they link to this.

Of course we do not have such a website but it seems
that it might be advisable that we did. I can remember
recently receiving such a request from the Chicago
Botanical Garden. I am therefore suggesting that we
might adopt a project for regional recommendations of
Irises with special notes on culture within various
regions that might be a part of the AIS website. This
would be a rather large project and might involve
regional VPs, the science committee and experienced
growers around the country. Perhaps we would only be
able to develop a region at a time. But it does seem
like a valuable project.  Does anyone feel it would be
wise to attempt something on this order. I will copy
the committee and the AIS electronics chairman and the
webmaster for their thoughts, and the AIS board via
AIS discuss.