Virtual Iris Show

Dear AIS Discuss;

I am writing this as both a celebration and a plea. We are attempting
something that AIS has never done. B  OMG! And everyone can help! The First
International Virtual Iris Show! B  I love the thought of AIS being first at
something. Unfortunately before I could bring this idea forward there have
already been Virtual flower shows, but to my knowledge ours is the first for
Iris. Of course it is International because the internet goes everywhere; but
how does one, have and judge a virtual show? B  You can take a look on the
Iris Encyclopedia. I still do not have a design section for the show schedule,
so here is my first plea for help. Would anyone like to work with me to create
the design section? It was critical I get the horticultural/variety section up
and started because I want ALL irises to participate, including the
reticulata, juno, and MDB groups that will be starting to bloom now, but I
figure if the design criteria are finished this next month, it will still
allow for great participation. My second plea is for sections, or anyone, to
offer prizes in one or more categories for the best entry in that category.
Since we may have B  boverseas winnersb, B  maybe memberships to various
iris sections or to AIS might make the best prize.

I also want to celebrate that we now have (possibly) all registered Irises in
the Encyclopedia. I am sure there are a few that may have been missed in over
59,000, but hopefully over time all omissions will be found. I also want to
note new topic areas on the Encyclopedia; such as Reblooming irises, Novelty
irises etc. There is now a topic area for every section and interest group.
Consider it a challenge to see what each group does with it. Now that most all
irises have pages, the challenge is to see how these pages get fleshed out
with images and information.

Returning to the Virtual iris Show, each category includes a seedling class.
This is a huge opportunity for hybridizers to show off their seedlings. At a
local show only local visitors see the seedlings, but let me throw out some
shocking data. I believe the Encyclopedia is viewed by more people than any
other Iris site, and by more than a factor of 10, perhaps even usually a
factor of 100. I may have mentioned before that it averages more than a half
million views a month. But I can now tell you the average number of unique
visitors each month is around 10,000. The world is visiting and looking. If we
can involve a fraction of those people in things like the virtual iris show,
we should be able to gain members. Obviously this is a huge opportunity for
hybridizers to have their flowers seen. My question to the board is should we
award Exhibition Certificates and should the current rules be changed for
Exhibition Certificates (at least for the virtual show), since the 60% of
Judges that vote the ballots could vote for a seedling?