Subject: Re: Method of Filling Vacancy in the Specific Office of President
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 21:55:23 -0800
From: Jeanne Plank <PlankMail@aol.com>
To: Judy Keisling <keisling@swbell.net>, Jill & Joe Bonino <jpbonino@earthlink.net>, Michelle Snyder <AISSecretary@irises.org>, John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>, AISJudges@irises.org
CC: Bob Plank <Bobplankmail@aol.com>

Hello:
I am in complete accord with what Bob has written below.
Along the lines of "where do we go from here:"
 I want to  point out that the AIS Bylaws (page 9, section 2 of the current edition)state that the Board shall elect a President-elect at the Annual Spring Meeting in those years when the incumbent is completing the last year of his/her term. (Roy was completing the last year of his term.) The President-elect takes office following "official elections" at the traditional fall meeting.
The Board has the means to keep things "on track" buy taking normal action at the Spring Meeting in Madison.  Judy Keisling is the AIS President by virtue of the death of the sitting president. The Board really doesn't need to take any further action until November, when it could proceed as normal.  If the Board feels insecure without a 2nd VP position, in the Spring the Board could choose either to remedy the vacancy left in the 2nd VP seat, or to wait until November to proceed with all elections along the normal pathways.
I favor the latter (for continuity's sake) unless someone can make a cogent argument that AIS would be in jeopardy.
I am of the opinion that Roy's name should be removed as contact on the web page and Judy's name be put in its place as President.
I suggest a black banded box be placed on the home page announcing Roy's death and ending by giving Judy's name as the new AIS President.
That's my opinion.
Jeanne