Policy reaffirmation

I am grateful for all the support members of the board have shown for this 50
year old policy of not charging a registration fee for species with proper
collection data. I would like to hear from the remaining board members. I
would hope we would be unanimously in agreement with this old policy. I
donbt believe this really requires a vote since in essence it is already in
place. I do believe the scientific committee should make some defining notes
as to what would be required to constitute proper collection data and what may
be desired to have on file. This could be reported later in a bulletin
article. Presently Mike Lowe simply puts in the registration (collected in
COUNTY, STATE), That maybe is sufficient for publication in the R&I. But as
keeper of the SIGNA checklist I can say I would be happy to add more, such as
habitat information.

Mike and I have agreed that one of our biggest problems has been getting
plants registered. It was a major impetus form the formation of AIS 89 years
ago and it still is not totally solved. Many people understand cultivars as
garden hybrids. It has been particularly difficult in educating the majority
to the fact that a cultivar can be a species selection and even harder for
them to understand that the selection may come from the wild.