Re: Reaffirmation of Policy

I too strongly support the reaffirmation of policy.  I am not sure if we
need to vote on it.  I agree with Terry with just publishing it in the
bulletin and  placing it on the web site would show our reaffirmation of
policy.

I know of several people in Louisiana that are collecting Louisianas from
the swamps to keep them from being destroyed.  As of yet, I don't think
any of them have been registered.

Paul

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:37:08 -0500 (EST) Robert Pries
<robertpries@embarqmail.com> writes:
> I am seeking the board of directorbs reaffirmation of a policy that
> has been
> in effect for 50 years but has had very little use. The policy is
> essentially
> that wild iris plants with good collection data will have any fee
> waived if
> they are registered. In essence, the goal is to create living
> herbarium
> specimens that document the diversity of an iris species. Since 1959
> I can not
> point to an instance in which this has been done. Yet there are
> still native
> plant collectors who find interesting iris variations in the wild
> and
> distribute them. Presently most never get registered and these wild
> plant
> enthusiasts are usually unaware of the Iris society having any
> interest in
> native plants. I discussed this with our registrar Mike Lowe and he
> confirmed
> his knowledge of this policy and saw no problem continuing it. It
> was
> presented to the AIS board in the late 1950bs by the famous
> botanist Dr. Lee
> Lenz who headed the scientific committee at that time. Dr. Lenz is
> in his
> 90bs and still working at Rancho Santa Anna Botanic Gardens on
> California
> floras. In a practical sense it would cost us little. Even if I
> aggressively
> sought out plants to be registered it is unlikely that there would
> be on
> average more than 2-3 a year, maybe 10 the first year. I believe it
> would
> enhance AISbs credentials for having an interest in plant
> conservation.
> Remember these plants are not of garden origin, they would require
> data such
> as state and county of origin. While more detailed location data may
> be on
> file we would not want to be too specific in print so as to protect
> the
> population from unscrupulous collectors.

Find the perfect flag pole to display your most cherished flag. Click now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw1vt3ZaboNka2sEtv7lrOw642Wvk7BzEggJQmbYUpdEvXpYd/