Seedling Pictures in the Bulletin

All,

The following statement is going to be put on the AIS Website and made available on the internet via email.

"In the January 2007 Bulletin of the American Iris Society the editor of the Bulletin made the following statement in his editorial:

"The Board has also determined that we may no longer print pictures of seedlings, so this issue will be the last to include seedling photos."

That statement is an incorrect interpretation of the AIS Board policy and the action the Board took at the fall 2006 Board meeting. The AIS Board policy is:

That color pictures used in AIS publications should be registered, introduced irises, properly published species, historical cultivars, and those used for illustrative purposes and overall garden shots.

The phrase "and those used for illustrative purposes and overall garden shots" is properly interpreted as meaning that "any color picture" may be used for illustrative purposes and overall garden shots. In fact a picture of the Empire State Building could be used in the Bulletin IF it was used for illustrative purposes in an article or if it made sense for an overall garden shot. This is an unlikely example, but serves to illustrate the issue. Color pictures of seedlings may be used in the same manner.

At the Fall 2006 Board meeting the Board voted to "reinforce and implement" the EXISTING policy adopted in 1995."

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Member AIS Board of Directors

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending: