Re: Online Membership

In a message dated 1/18/2007 5:53:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
bobplankmail@aol.com writes:

John  raises a valid issue. We do need a written Privacy Policy (and a
Liability  Disclaimer Policy) covering the Internets.
There are several areas in which AIS needs written Policy Statements that
are easily accessed.  AIS should have a Policy Statement Booklet  (with page
inserts as policy changes from time to time) just as we have a  Judges' Training
Booklet, AIS Convention Booklet and Regional Vice President  Booklet.  Prior
to some actions the Board took at the November Board  meeting regarding policy
changes anent the AIS Bulletin, a review of several  years of AIS Minutes was
required to verify then current policy.

I quote below from "Guidebook for Directors of Nonprofit  Corporations,"
second edition, published by the American Bar Association  (2002).

"Confidential Information.  The nonprofit corporation  should also exercise
care to protect its confidential and proprietary  information.

Privacy  is a hot button issue with many.
You bet it is.  I presently have a third person added to my Paypal  account
which is causing me all kinds of grief

The laws  vary from state to state and are not static.  That's not to say
that a  member list, without addresses, is "confidential information."  So far as
 I have determined, such a list presently by law is not "material that must
be  kept confidential."

I'm inclined to agree with John Jones,  favoring the "simple unprotected
approach just like the SJI does," because I  do not view widespread dissemination
to be a commercial practicality because  of the high costs that would be
involved in matching my name with an address.  I would object (mildly) if it turns
out that there is an inexpensive high tech  way to do so, and as a result I
got a flood of Invitations to Join from the  orchid, rose, hosta, daylily,
cactus, and gourd  societies.
I continually get such requests from the orchid and daylily organizations,
two flowers for which I have marginal interest.  Gourds -- now that's
different!

Since the law does not appear to be determinative of the matter, it  should
be decided on other grounds, such as (a) whether rank and file members  would
strongly object on privacy grounds to their names, without addresses,  being
available on the AIS web site; and if so (b) whether overcoming such  possible
objections are outweighed by the complications of password protecting  the
data; or (c) whether just to continue providing the lists to the RVPs by  mail or
fax on hardcopy, and to continue relying on the members' own  resources, or
the RVPs, to remind them of the need to renew.

Bob  Plank
All things being said, and since the primaries have been heard from
(Membership, Electronic Services & Legal) I guess I am lukewarm about the  subject.  I
haven't been convinced yet that the benefit outweighs the  perceived
membership objections.

Jim Morris