From: jijones@usjoneses.com
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:35 PM
Subject: [AISdiscuss] Online Membership

I am investigating what it will take to have the ability for a member to check their membership expiration date online and for RVPs to get a list of the Region members and expiration dates. (The database would have ONLY name, expiration date, and region number).

My question is this:

The easiest implementation would allow anyone to get the region list (or for that matter look up the expiration date of any individual)

There is no other personal information in the database. I don't think having the names/expiration date of everyone in the region is of value to anyone except the RVPs checking membership.

To put a password protected front end on the database would involve more programming and an administrative burden managing passwords. Having a single PW/ID published in the bulletin only keeps out people that don't have access to a bulletin (and of course requires that people remember where to find the PW)

Personally I favor the simple unprotected approach just like the SJI does. See:

http://www.gixxergirl.org/sji/sji_search.html

(BTW the person that programmed the SJI lookup does not have the time to do the same for AIS, so I have to look for other solutions)

So your thoughts please (I'd like to hear from everyone please)

Thx

John | "There be dragons here"

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA