Re: AIS Silent Auction - your thoughts on this please

I have been reading all the interesting discussion regarding The Genus
Iris bequeath from Francesca Thoolen to the Aril Society International and
would like to share some separate discussions in November I had with Lyn
Wilson,  an ASI member who has been involved with Karla Garcia (Francesca's
daughter) and  Betsy Higgins.  I cut & pasted from several emails in date sequence
 oldest to newest. So it looks like AIS can do this for ASI in a
non-precedent setting mode.  I find myself agreeing with Cheryl Deaton but  think it
not unreasonable to take a minimal commission of say 10% on such an  item.

Jim M.

I have some mixed thoughts on this.  I agree that  we should have a minimum
bid, that the book NOT be on display, but  secured
somewhere (unfortunately we have experienced theft in many areas the  past
few
conventions) and that it could be examined by bidders separately,  that ASI
get
an insurance rider to protect Region 15, and that an ASI member  be there to
answer questions.  I think these special circumstances for  Silent Auction
items should be a board decision, not the responsibility of  the Silent
Auction
chair, since in some cases this could decrease the amount  of money spent on
silent auction items (in a tough economy you chose  carefully where your
money
goes).  As to AIS getting a percentage of the  proceeds, I am not convinced
we
need to do this.
Cheryl

FRANCESCA ROMEO THOOLEN
1921-2011
Francesca bequeathed her copy of The Genus Iris by W. R. Dykes  to ASI for
auction with the proceeds going to ASI.  In compliance with her  wishes, The
Genus Iris will be offered for Silent Auction at the 2011 AIS  Convention
in Ontario, CA.
Lyn, The 1974 Dover Publications unabridged  republication of the original
(1913) edition is clothbound and measures 8-1/2 x  12" and is 20% smaller
than the 1913 book of 10 x 14-1/2".  What size is  the Thoolan book?  If it is
larger and in fact is an original it is of  inestimable value.  Otherwise
it is as valued on E-bay or that of the  various online book sources.  Jim M.

Lynn,
This sounds like the original!  I don't know who  Betsy talked to in "AIS"
that they weren't willing to share auction proceeds  with ASI.  It would
seem to me that such a sharing is possible and  probable.  We have shared in
the past.  The audience would certainly  be larger whether at the Silent
Auction or at the Geek Dinner.  I will copy  a couple of other AIS board members
to see what they might think is  possible.  Jim M.

MORRISJE1@aol.com wrote:
> John,
> Thanks.  That is what I thought too.  The rare book search I  just did
> shows copies for sale as follow:
>
> Bauman  Rare Books $2,200.00
> Johnnycake Books    $1,253.50
>  Jans Collectables      $   700.00
> Three copies  of only 300 printed in 1913.>
> Jim M.>
> In a  message dated 11/8/2011 5:50:28 P.M. Central Standard Time,
>  jijones@usjoneses.com writes:
>
> All,
> If we were to  auction it at the Geek Dinner we would of  course be
willing
> to  share the proceeds. I don't see why special arrangements  could not
be
> made for the Silent Auction as well. It is only one item to be   treated
thus.
> I can understand that, especially at the Silent Auction,  they  would not
> want to have a lot of items shared, it would be an  accounting  nightmare.
>
> The Silent Auction venue would  probably be better - larger  crowd than
the
> Geek Dinner.
>
> My copy of the Dykes is dated Cambridge  Press 1913. I have never  heard
of
> earlier editions. Mine has leather on the  spine wrapped  around about
two
> inches into both the front and back covers. The   rest of the covers are
green
> hardboard covered with a fabric material,  typical  of the time. I have
heard
> of, but never seen, a rigid  dust cover that the  volume can slip  into.
>
>  John
Jim,
Thanks so much for all your research and  work!
The terms of her will state that the book is to be  auctioned with the
proceeds to go to ASI.  I'm thinking that 10% would not  be out of compliance
with her terms.  The Geeks hoped for 50%, and that  probably will not work.
I'm not sure about the 20%, but it may be over the  amount that would satisfy
the terms of her will.  Some board members felt  10% would work.
Just a lot of questions.
Thanks again,
--
Lyn  Wilson

---- MORRISJE1@aol.com wrote:
> Subject:  F. Thoolan's  copy of The Genus Iris for auction to  benefit ASI
>
>  Judy,
>
> Do we have any set procedure for handling items at  the AIS Silent
Auction
> for Sections/Cooperating Societies or is  it left to the discretion of
the
> committee?  I know we have  handled items in the past but don't know what

> portion accrued to  AIS vs the Section/Cooperating Society.
>
> Booksellers I  have talked to charge anywhere from 20% to 50% commission
for
>   handling an item for another party.  I would think 20% would be
reasonable
>  for AIS to handle the mint condition copy of The Genus Iris for  the
Aril
> Society International.  What do you and others  think?  I've  copied
Jeanne
> as our Policy chairman and  Clarence because he buys rare  books.  I
would
> think that a  minimum bid price in the $150-$200 range  would
> be a reasonable  starting point.  I would appreciate a response from
all.
> Thanks.
>
> Jim M.

In a message dated 2/1/2012 8:28:49 A.M. Central Standard Time,