News from Maryland

I thought I'd share some darling news this morning.
The grandmother of our Youth photo contest winner, Tabitha Bednar, is Pat
Mc'Neal.   She shared with me a new article appearing in her local newspaper,
the Times Record, about another one of Tabitha's achievements.  You can view
it here http://www.carolinetimesrecord.com/articles/2009/02/01/news/64094.txt

Pat tells me in her email to me, "Tabitha has also been chosen as the Maryland
state winner of the Bonnie Plants Cabbage Program.  Although her name was
drawn at random from all of the state entries, she was very deserving.  We had
a tornado come through when her cabbage plant was half-grown and just starting
to form a head.  It blew large tree branches into her plant, tearing it and
ripping it out of the ground.  I made some suggestions as to how she might
save the plant (cutting off most of the leaves and feeding it manure tea,
etc.), which she decided to try.  She was able to save the plant and the
result was a seven-pound cabbage, small in comparison to some of the others,
but a tremendous victory under the circumstances.  Most people would have
considered it a lost cause after the tornado ripped the plant out of the
ground."

Cheers!
Kitty Loberg