RE: AIS Website--first paragraph

Hi Robert,

Please understand that my comments are only one person's suggestions.

If this was the first time for me to go to the AIS website, I would be more
intrigued by the Discussion #1.  It covers a larger group of topics that I
might not have thought of, but is more likely to cause me to look further.
I would like it to have the word iris/irises used more.

Example:  in the first paragraph, if I was a novice I might not understand
"promoting research" what kind of research?  Perhaps it would be better to
say promoting iris research or promoting historical iris reseach, etc.  Also
in the same paragraph the term registering cultivars, might be confusing.  I
would like it to say registering iris cultivars.  In the next sentense "...
newest development in Iris."  Shouldn't that be "newest development in
Irises"?  In the last sentence I believe it should say iris judges, iris
shows and awards, and celebrate the best of the genus iris.

Example:  in the second paragraph I would like to see it say "The diversity
of the genus Iris offers..."  In the last sentense, ...more than 250 iris
species and thousands of exciting iris hybrids.

Repetition of the word Iris or Irises is a good thing.  Repetition is used
as a selling technique all the time, because it works.  Also it helps the
person who sees the site for the first time to really remember that this
site is all about irises.  I believe it will help distinguish it from other
websites in the person's memory as offering more, so that they return again
and again.

Is there any way to combine parts of Discussion #2 into Discussion #1?
Discussion #2 seem a bit more personal, though it lack as much info as
Discussion #1.  I especially like the opening of Discussion #2.  Maybe start
the opening paragraph like #2 and then continue with #1.

Example:  The American Iris Society (AIS) is a community of plant
enthusiasts who have found in Irises, durable and
rewarding garden plants. The enormous diversity of the genus Iris provides
marvelous and exotic iris cultivars for a
great variety of gardening situations, from the perennial border, to the
rock or water garden, to alpine collectors, and native plant enthusiasts.
There are irises for every climate and every garden. We invite you to
explore the rich
diversity of more than 250 iris species and thousands of exciting iris
hybrids.

AIS is a non-profit organization providing objective information on Irises.
AIS is the backbone of the worldwide Iris information network, promoting
iris research, registering iris cultivars, and connecting our membership. As
a member you support the organization of the Iris community and are alerted
to the newest developments in Irises. The systems of iris judges, iris shows
and awards, celebrates the best of the genus iris. Local affiliates can
provide advice for your area.

The AIS produces a bulletin 4 times a year showing the latest in
Tall-bearded Iris and all the other iris groups. Specialty iris groups with
newsletters include ten categories, from Iris species, Siberian Iris,
Japanese Iris, Dwarf Iris, Aril Iris, Louisiana Iris, Pacific Coast Natives,
Spuria Iris, Reblooming Iris, Historic Iris, and Median Iris.

Lynn Williams
R14 RVP