Forest Service Inquiry

I want to thank John for noting the Forest Service
inquiry on discuss. I had a long talk with Dr. Stritch
and I believe the Forest Service and AIS could profit
from each others interaction and he is of like mind.
The Forest Service is trying to make known to the
public the wonderful wildflowers that grow on forest
service lands. They hope that people will visit the
national forests to see these plants. All North
American species of Iris have some habitat in National
Forests. The only exception may be Iris tenuis and
since it comes very close to the Mount Hood National
Forest it is possible that forest service lands extend
into its range. If anyone can prove this to be true
Dr. Stritch would like to include that Iris also on
the website they are creating for the Genus.

Dr. Stritch pointed out that the Forest Service
websites are heavily visited and that when they get
the Iris section up and running he expects it may have
a positive effect on our membership. He is a gardener
himself and a member of the Rhododendron Society and
hopes that these websites will help plant societies as
well as benefiting the Forest Service.

Dr. Stritch sees potential for AIS to also be helpful
to the Forest Service. Our 5,000 members can act as
eyes and ears, so to speak, noting how populations of
Iris are fairing in national forests. They have money
for matching grants on certain types of research. AIS
may be able to partner for various types of Iris
related studies, either making our money go farther or
providing us funds in exchange for workers.

We spent a good deal of time on the potential for
conservation. I sent him a link to the AIS
conservation policy and he suggested we link that to
the conservation ethics statement on their website. He
had already contacted the Louisiana Iris Society and
the Society for Pacific Coast Natives. I think it
would be helpful if the sections and AIS could report
their interactions so that we can all work together
with the Forest Service. As PR chair I hope to
encourage these interactions and keep the scientific
committee informed also.

I believe it will be helpful for us to know what is
happening in the world of Iris and this link to the
Forest Service can only increase our knowledge and
open opportunities.

Thanks again John for bringing this to our attention.