Re: Response From Dave Niswonger to Paul Black Letter

Hi Cheryl,

You have brought up a sore subject that dates back to the organization of
the Median Iris Society. Walter Welch, founder of the Dwarf Iris Society,
wanted  both miniature and standard dwarfs to be included in the Dwarf Iris
Society.  However, Bee Warburton, organizer of the Median Iris Society, wanted
standard  dwarfs to be in the Median Iris Society. Bee had the ear of the
AIS Board and  convinced them that Walter Welch was a crackpot. I had been
going to dwarf iris  meetings at Walter Welch's garden for a number of years
along with hybridizers  and dwarf species collectors. He grew a very large
number of I. pumila as  well as a dwarf iris test garden. He was well
respected at that time. Bee was,  and continued to be, my friend even though I
disagreed with her position on  standard dwarfs.

Dorothy Willott

In a message dated 12/1/2010 3:08:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,