Re: Website Content

 I totally agree with John on this. The first step in designing our website is to ask ourselves who are we appealing to, and what are they looking for. After we have a clear idea of what needs to be on our website, to the point of creating content, then we can enlist a designer to display it in the best way possible. This is related to what do we want our society to be in the near term and in the short term. These questions remain too nebulous at present to take appropriate action.

----- Original Message -----
From: "John I Jones" <jijones@usjoneses.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:56:41 PM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: [AISdiscuss] Website Content

I feel that in the past we have missed targeting an important group
of potential members.

We encourage youth... that's up to 19.  We have a huge number of
retired people... but we don't have the younger adults and people in
the 20-40 age group.  People say it's because they work, they live in
apartments...etc etc. Certainly not all of them fall into those
categories.

I think we/AIS needs to target the Family or Young Adult group.
Certainly not exclusively, but with some emphasis.  By this I mean
perhaps having family gardening or some catchy title which would
interest that 20-40 age group... something the first time younger
visitor would see right away and hold their attention for 2 minutes,
quick blurbs, like 'diagrams of how to plant an iris', pictures of
small gardens, articles on container irises, etc., ... things that
are visual and would draw their interest.

As we move through the website redesign process, we will need new and
additional content for the site, and I will depend on all of you to
step up to help with this. Everyone is responsible for adding content.

Thanks

John