Re: Re: JT Handbook Revisions

Hello,

Having judged (both garden and show bench) in ALL parts of the U.S. I find
myself agreeing with everything Kitty and Cheryl have presented.  Our  Region
18 has perceived the national guidelines to be weak in these areas and we  have
for many years REQUIRED our judges to take MORE (than  AIS) credit hours of
training to gain and retain their  status.  I continue to see no value in
"Retired" judge status.   You either are a judge or you are not.  I agree once more
 with Kitty as I have seen a Retired team that were so out of touch that they
 knew few varieties within the past 15 years and declined to judge the
Species  entirely!  Fortunately we had local judges who picked up the slack.

There are several so-called judges that will not be invited to judge at our
shows at the Missouri Botanical Garden, or elsewhere for that matter.  Once  a
judge's skill level has been perceived or assessed as poor or worse, it is
next to impossible for that perception to be changed -- especially if that
person does not fully participate in judges' training and other iris  activities.

Jim Morris
*********

In a message dated 4/21/2006 10:43:45 A.M. Central Standard Time,