Traveling Library

Anner Whitehead sends:

Mrs. Plotner said:

"I have written an extensive article about a traveling library AIS started in 1928.  This is not a new idea for AIS.  This memorial traveling library was named after Bertrand Farr, It was sent out from three home bases throughout the United States.  There were three identical libraries and they were free of charge.  They could be borrowed for up to thirty days.  The Borrower paid the shipping too and from the destination."

I am delighted to hear about this, Tracy. Good for you!

I know for a fact that this particular story, like many such interesting incidents from the history of the Society, needed publishing in detail.

The Farr Library was mentioned in Dream Gardener, George Edmonds' book on Bertrand Farr, but the information had to be shoe-horned into the final proof on its way to press, so was very elemental. I am aware of this because Mr. Edmonds called me in late July, 2008, referred by the editor of the journal of the Southern Garden History Society, whom he had contacted requesting she take cognizance of his forthcoming book. He called to introduce himself, and ask me to review Dream Gardener for that journal, which I agreed to do.

In the course of the conversation, Mr. Edmonds also asked me some questions about Farr to which he had been unsuccessful in finding answers, and I was pleased to be able to assist him. One concerned what was actually done by AIS as the formal memorial to Bertrand Farr. I told him, then immediately emailed him a list of BAIS quotes and citations for his files, and he revised his text accordingly. The bottom line on all this was that although George Edmonds had spoken to many people interested in AIS history and historic Irises, apparently no one but I could tell him the story of the Farr Library.

I was, and remain to some degree, ambivalent about reviewing that book after having made a contribution to it, but the contribution was a small one, and concerned a documented matter of fact rather than one of judgment, so I do not feel there was substantial conflict; nevertheless, I'm happy for an opportunity to mention it publicly.

If someone for some reason would care to read the review, which is a detailed one, and not wholly a rave, please contact me privately. The AIS Library has copies on file.

I believe many other questions about Bertrand Farr, and his life, remain to be resolved.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead