Re: AIS eRobins

The comments from Ann Violette about National Garden Clubs, Inc. garden clubs
is very welcome. I am the National Affiliates/Plant Society Liaison for
National Garden Clubs, Inc. and I promote NGC clubs to work with plant societies in
every way possible.  Join, judge, hostess, write schedules, do designs--you
name it and we hope they will help.

Ann confirms that it works.  These NGC judges have experience in judging
designs especially and that works very well when having a show in an area where
there are NGC judges.  There is also AIS Judges' Training for helping AIS
members understand and learn to judge when they are needed to fill in.

The Master Gardeners might be an interesting membership source.  Last year I
talked them into having a flower show--a few knew what I was talking about but
most did not.  I held a design workshop, brought the flowers, etc., and I did
a program on grooming, showing the branches to cut, and how to stage them in
bottles.  The show was a success and they are interested more than ever in
design now. They were not involved in the problems of a show, staging, props,
bottles, schedule, getting judges.  All they had to do was bring in horticulture
and their designs. I did all the rest. They also took advantage of the event
to host a table with handouts from the Extension Service and to take soil
samples.  My budget came in at about $150 which they easily covered.  The Library
show location was free.

This might be an idea to include this group in an iris show, give them iris
to grow, do a program for them, etc.  I sold iris to them last year also.  Many
were so excited when the flowers bloomed and even some rebloomed.

The organization of an affiliate with the Master Gardeners can be up for
discussion and how to do it effectively.  Are they possible candidates?  They
could have a show at iris bloom time, with designs?  Baby steps might work
bringing them into the fold slowly and in an educational and fun way.  They do love
plants and growing.

Any comments?  Carolyn Hawkins