Re: Response From Dave Niswonger to Paul Black Letter

As the treasurer and membership keeper for SLI, and the new RVP for region 10, let me share some experience of our membership problems within SLI. We normally sign up twenty to thirty new members each year. Unfortunately we lose thirty to forty old members each year. I spend a lot of time reminding members to renew. I have started pasting a label across the Fleur de Lis (our quarterly newsletter) being mailed out to members who are about to expire. This has helped. Still, writing letters to expired members always gets a few to sign up again. I have just completed a survey that I am sending to 21 members who were members in 2007, 2008, and 2009, who did not renew. In the survey I have solicited the reason they no longer wish to belong to SLI and have enclosed a self-address, postage paid envelope, to get them to respond to the survey. I'll let you know what results I get and the reasons given for not renewing. I already know one reason. Members are getting older and older and we are not recruiting young people. If the mother or grandparent did not interest them in flowers, they just seem to not develop an interest until they get older and retire. The majority of members of SLI are well advanced in age, to include myself. I would think combining any sections would not be a good idea. I am not that familiar with the dwarf and other sections but most sections have great pride in their individual organizations and attempts to combine them, without the approval of both, might prove counterproductive. SLI membership has decreased year after year and all efforts to turn this around have thus far provided ineffective. As the new RVP for region 10, with some 21 members of AIS in region 10 (the whole state of LA), I am challenged with increasing membership in this region. At the same time I have real problems getting members to renew within SLI. Most of the members of SLI living in Louisiana (our largest group of members) do not grow tall bearded or many of the other species of irises. Here in Shreveport, LA, they are very difficult to grow. So members who belong to SLI are getting information on the type of iris they grow and it is difficult to get them to join AIS. I am trying to recruit new members of AIS so they can take judges training and become AIS judges. I would also like to get some of the clubs in LA to become affiliated with AIS but the membership in AIS is just not there. So many challenges and so little time!

Don't know if this helps.
Ron Killingsworth, RVP, Region 10