Estate Giving Attachments (since they didn't transmit in earlier email)

Charity Begins at Home

The seeds of charitable giving  are not planted at birth. We all must learn
the values that inspire  philanthropy. It is important, then, to share what
you have learned and pass  those values on to loved ones.

A  person's financial philosophy begins with the care of family members,
addressing  basic needs such as paying the mortgage, medical costs and tuition
bills. But  most of us actually do earn or possess more than we need.
Though the definition  of "need" is highly personal, the value system we learn
as
we grow can prompt  our desire to help others.

Of  course, all wealthy people are not charitable, and not all charitable
people are  wealthy. The difference, clearly, is not the amount of available
money. Instead,  it is the measure of compassion for othersbthose whom
charitable organizations  like ours servebthat makes all the difference in
the
world.

The foundation of philanthropy often originates from  our faith, but
everyone can employ the philosophy of helping others. Compassion  lies within
the
heart of each of us. We need only to find the  key.

3 Ways to  Give
    1.  Annual gifts, no matter how large or small,  ensure that we will be
able to provide ongoing services every year.
    2.  A sizable one-time gift lets us use those  funds to support
immediate projects.
    3.  A bequest in your will or trust  demonstrates your commitment to
future generations.
Please call Sharon Mertzlufft at 314-577-9495  or
_sharon.mertzlufft@mobot.org_ (mailto:sharon.mertzlufft@mobot.org)   for ideas
on how we may fit into
your family's financial  philosophy.
Make a Gift Later

Would you like to help us  continue our work, but can't make a donation
right now? Then consider including  a gift to us in your will or living trust
(a charitable bequest). This type of  gift works well for people who believe
in our cause but can't part with the  money today.

The Benefits  of a Charitable Bequest
    *   Simplicity. Just insert a few sentences into your will or  trust.
We can give you the correct wording to use.
    *   Flexibility. Because you are not actually making a gift  until your
death, you can change your mind at any time.
    *   Versatility. You can structure the bequest to leave a  specific
item or amount of money, make the gift contingent on certain events,  or leave
a percentage of your estate to us.
    *   Tax Relief. When you make a gift to us-a qualified  charitable
organization-in your will, your estate is entitled to an estate tax
charitable
deduction for the full value of the gift.
Why Leaving a Percentage Makes  Sense
When planning a future gift, it's sometimes difficult to  determine what
size donation will make sense. Emergencies happen, and you need  to make sure
that your family is financially taken care of first. Including a  bequest of
a percentage of your estate or a percentage of your residual estate
ensures that your gift will remain proportionate to your estate size, no
matter
how it fluctuates over the years.

For More Information
It's so easy  to put this plan in motion. Contact Sharon Mertzlufft today
at 314-577-9495 or  _sharon.mertzlufft@mobot.org_
(mailto:sharon.mertzlufft@mobot.org) ,  and we'll help you get started.

Do You Know the Value of  Your Estate?

It can be difficult to plan for  the distribution of your wealth without
knowing the value of your estate. Yet  many people don't realize what their
assets are worth. Here's how to put your  financial house in order.

Step 1: Inventory Your  Assets
    *   Your home, land and other real  property
    *   Stocks and bonds
    *   Cash, including savings accounts and  CDs
    *   Tangible personal property (including  autos, jewelry and antiques)

    *   Assets in which you have an income interest  (such as an annuity)
    *   Retirement accounts
    *   Equity/ownership interest in  businesses
    *   Life insurance
Step 2: Determine How and With Whom  Your Assets Are Owned
Ownership generally falls into the following three  categories: sole, joint
or tenancy in common. Owning an asset with your brother  is different from
a tax perspective than owning an asset with your spouse. Also,  married
couples living in community property states have additional  record-keeping
requirements.

Step 3: Add Up Your Debts
What you  owe is subtracted from the value of the assets at your death. The
most common  debt is a mortgage on a primary residence or vacation house.
But credit card  balances and other loans are also calculated here. In
addition, your estate will  incur legal fees and other expenses that will
reduce
the amount subject to  taxation.

Step 4:  Calculate Your Gifts
A $50,000 gift, for example, to your child to  get a business started or to
help with a first home's down payment is a taxable  gift. Even though you
may not have actually paid any out-of-pocket gift tax on  the transfer
because of the $1 million gift tax-exempt amount, you must keep  track of the
gift
to calculate any potential estate tax in the  future.