Fwd: Missouri Botanical Garden - Heritage - August Edition (Estate Giving)

All,

Sometime back during or after the Fall Board meeting, Bob Pries indicated
that AIS lost out on some estate gifts because we do not have a procedure or
 process for estate giving.  I know that to be true and the amount we
missed  out on to be in excess of the DuBose/Hager estate.  I write most of the
AIS  obituaries and have had contact with lots of AIS deceased member's
families.  Several have mentioned to me that their relative would have
preferred giving to AIS rather than to other charities, their University, or  even
surviving family, but there was no process for doing so and that AIS didn't
seem interested or was perceived as not open to new directions.  Carry over
of the good ole boy syndrome.

AIS needs for someone to be identified (not me) who has the interest and
time to develop such a procedure/process.  Toward that end I have forwarded
the MOBOT Planned Giving Newsletter.  MOBOT receives huge endowments
because they actively pursue same and have a good process in place.  True,  they
have one full-time employee dedicated to the process, strong backing from
the Garden's Director (a big fundraiser himself for Tropical Research) and
can call on other staff as needed, but we could easily pattern a
procedure/process after their's (or someone else's -- every  University has a program)
that could be administered by a part-time  volunteer.  If the process grew to
actually be meaningful perhaps a  paid employee could be justified in the
future.  You never know  until you try.  One thing is for certain we can't
continue doing  things the way we have in the past.

This requires some executive action to get someone actively working on
this.  Even advertising in the Bulletin for volunteers would be a  positive
step (it is not too late to get something in the January  Bulletin).  There is
a lot of talent out there if you look beyond  the same old guys and gals.
Who knows, we might have a professional estate  planner as a member or a
non-member in an affiliate.  When I research AIS  obituaries I am often amazed
by the "other lives" our iris growers have  led.  We just need to tap in to
some of that talent.

Jim M.