Re: E-memberships

Good morning!

Gary, I agree with the idea of on line training. I had suggested this a year ago. As a college instructor, I make tests and give them on line, the scoring is done automatically and sent to my email. I don't think e-membership would have to be tied to e-JT-training. E-JT-training would enormously expand the categories of iris training and expertise of trainers to a wider audience. I think training could be made available to both those who wish to enroll in the AIS JT program, as well as novices who just want to understand irises better.

e-JT-record-tracking could also be done. Having served as a Judges Training Chair, I've seen how records from other terms have been poorly kept, and they have to be duplicated for the AIS chair. I would think e-JT-record-tracking would benefit all regions.

I'm not sure what costs you see tied with maintaining an expanded website, other than storage space on a server. I suspect there are many volunteers throughout the AIS membership who would be glad to volunteer to help with expanding the web site.

Kitty Loberg

California

One other possibility for e-membership could be
Judge's Training online.  While judges obviously would
need to fulfill their garden JT, live and in the
garden, many of the other classroom style hours could
be done online.  Most professional Continuing
Education credits can be completed online now.  I'm a
pharmacist with licenses in 4 states and I do most of
my CE requirements online now.  It seems to me that it
would be easy to adapt some AIS JT credit hours to the
member pages of the website. That would certainly
benefit very rural areas.  >

And, I also agree with Terry and others that the
website and member pages would require a great deal
more from a webmaster....maybe even several people
working on the site to maintain it and keep it current
and interesting for all these new e-members.  And,
there undoubtedly will be a significant cost
associated with building and maintaining that kind of
website.  Lots to think about and consider.  Maybe we
need an e-membership feasibility group.

Gary White
Lincoln, Nebraska