Re: E-memberships

Sorry to disagree about JT on-line.  While I know that many organizations have on-line training, I question whether it's a good fit for us for several reasons which we can discuss if we ever get to that point. For one thing, there is much to be said in favor of the personal interaction between the students and instructor in JT training. Yes, we could have "interactive" training, but from my experience it's pretty pricey to implement (I've had experience with setting up e-training) and do it right.

  Topics that might work, however, would be Awards & Ballots and Ethics.  Those seem like 2 classes that most people don't like to instruct and not offered on a regular basis in most regions.

  Anyways, this is a discussion for another time, but just wanted to put in my two-cents worth since the subject has been brought up.

  Judy Keisling

  Loberg <loberg@adelphia.net> wrote:
  Good morning!

Gary, I agree with the idea of on line training. I had suggested this a
year ago. As a college instructor, I make tests and give them on line, the
scoring is done automatically and sent to my email. I don't think
e-membership would have to be tied to e-JT-training. E-JT-training would
enormously expand the categories of iris training and expertise of trainers
to a wider audience. I think training could be made available to both
those who wish to enroll in the AIS JT program, as well as novices who just
want to understand irises better.

e-JT-record-tracking could also be done. Having served as a Judges
Training Chair, I've seen how records from other terms have been poorly
kept, and they have to be duplicated for the AIS chair. I would think
e-JT-record-tracking would benefit all regions.

I'm not sure what costs you see tied with maintaining an expanded website,
other than storage space on a server. I suspect there are many volunteers
throughout the AIS membership who would be glad to volunteer to help with
expanding the web site.

Kitty Loberg

California