Re: DISASTER PLAN (One Giant Leap For....)

" One is to increase membership but there is no clue as to how they are going
to do this. -and they are paying this guy 6 figures to make that
statement!!!???? There has
got to be a chuckle in there somewhere. NO, DENNIS, we do NOT need a manager!
Terry"

Dear Terry and others.
    Is it really true that the American Orchid Society is paying someone over
$100,000?   I went out to their website to find out what more I could learn
about whether they pay someone this much and to see what their society is
currently doing compared to AIS, although I'm not sure we should just be
comparing with them.  I think the American Hermerocallis Society is probably a
better model to observe and learn from.  Or perhaps even the California Garden
Clubs, Inc., who is healthy and strong with approx. 20,000 members and not
losing members.

It's funny that the thread talking about the status of AIS is titled Disaster
Plan when in reality this should be a thread titled Strategic Plan.

The AHS has a picture of their President on their website with their message
about what their society is about.  The AIS has messages from their President
on their website discussing their goals for the future.  The American Iris
Society has nothing on their website from their President.   Would it be
possible to get Dr. Epperson's  photo and a President's 'message/encouraging
goal oriented statement' on our website?

And Terry, since you mentioned the A.O.S., you all might like to see the
American Orchid Society's Strategic Plan statement.  They have it right on
their website.
Kitty

http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=7002&TEMPLATE=/CM/C
ontentDisplay.cfm
Major Goals for FY 2009-2010

- Identify actions to achieve and expand orchid leadership
- Leverage our conservation, research, and education capabilities
- Leverage the AOS brand
- Build and expand our sense of community
- Initiate fund-raising that provides the resources to grow
- Optimize management initiatives to support the mission

2009-2010 Strategic Goals

I. Strategies to expand the membership by the end of June 2010
1. Develop membership categories that will attract hobbyists with varying
levels of expertise by October 2009
2. Design a commercial membership class that will attract 50 more members by
December 2009
a. Institute a Commercial Membership Task Force
b. Enhance the Orchid Source Directory on the Web site and in print to be more
product-category driven
3. Redesign the Web site to make the Members-Only section a real draw for
membership interest by November 2009
4. Participate in every major orchid show in the country with a booth and
benefits table that will provide a discount coupon book from commercial
members for each new member
5. Secure a five- to 10-percent discount from selected commercial members for
all AOS members
6. Set aside one meeting a year dedicated to a presentation on the State of
the Society at each Affiliated Society

II. Strategies to increase visitors to the Web site by 100 percent
1. Enhance the shopping cart in the AOS site
2. Expand Members-Only offerings
a. Orchids A to Z
b. Culture Sheets c. Members-Only Commercial site
3. Create an on-line Bulletin/Orchids Magazine Archive
4. Introduce commercial member Web page that will provide links directly to
members
5. Redesign Orchid Source Directory to provide on-line search by location
and/or product category
6. Employ search engine optimization strategies to the site
7. Introduce worldwide research and conservation initiatives Web page to
educate and support orchid research and orchid conservation and donations

III. Strategies to increase donations to the unrestricted fund to $500,000 by
year's end
1. Identify specific projects worthy of support as well as stakeholders who
have interests in these projects
2. Target charitable foundations and prepare case for support by October 2009
3. Set goals for Members Meetings and investigate allowing for a silent
auction via the Internet open to all members
4. Introduce a charitable giving option that would benefit donors and the AOS
more than an estate gift

IV. Strategies to retire 40 percent of the restricted loans by June 2010
1. Any unrestricted contributions over the budgeted amount of $155,000 will be
applied against the outstanding loans
2. Review existing investment policy in light of new standards (UPMIFA)
relating to market down-turns for endowment funds
V. Increase operating revenues by 15 percent
There you have it. We welcome your comments. If you think we are missing
something, or if you think that parts of this plan are unreachable, let us
know. Part of the funds to accomplish these strategies are in the current
budget, but if you see something that you believe is important to you or to
your society and want to help us fund it, we will greatly appreciate your
interest, and we will give you or your society a special acknowledgment for
doing it. The Board will look at this plan at every meeting, and before we
approve any new item on the agenda, the question will always be, "Is this part
of our plan?"