Re: DISASTER PLAN (One Giant Leap For....)

On Sep 16, 2009, at 6:35 AM, Robert Pries wrote:

Clarence and Dennis; The world has changed. In fact it seems like we enter a quite different world every decade. I believe in lessons from history but it
is not often easy to figure them out.

The AIS has remained pretty much the
same despite the world changing around it.

I am not sure I agree with that.

We certainly are more electronically oriented now than when I first became associated with the AIS ten years ago. Almost everyone on the board, or in other responsible positions for the AIS has email, we have several electronic robins, one of which has been running since February of 1996. We have had electronic versions of the R&I, and checklists since I (and a dedicated team of helpers) started scanning them in 1997 and a full online registrations database when Mike Lowe took over as Registrar. We have AISDiscuss, AISVote, RVPs and New Regions email lists, we can join or renew our memberships online with Paypal, we have had a pretty good website for over 6 years and an new design in process, we have the ability for anyone to go online and see when their membership expires and now a Wiki in process.

So, NO I don't think we have stayed pretty much the same.

Could we have done more, YES. Are we behind the curve, to be sure. We are facing social changes and structural changes in lifestyles and the economy. It is sometimes hard to keep up when you have limited finances and even more limited human resources. Three years ago who heard of social networks and now we have Facebook. It is difficult even for well funded companies to keep up with all that has happened in the last 7-10 years,

Not that we shouldn't take steps to make our organization more viable. We should. But it is not that we have done nothing in the last ten years.

John

I do believe we have failed to keep
up and this is why we are becoming less relevant. I am not sure an outside executive is the answer. After all if the board would not allow him or her to make changes it would be useless. We have been working on strategic planning and soon will be soliciting input from RVPs and ultimately from everyone. At present no idea is off the table. To preserve the society there will have to be a great deal of change. That does not mean the past is forgotton but that our core values are reonforced and brought forward to new generations they may not be touching now. To do this the society and its board must be willing to embrace changes that become necessary. I know that we will change, we are at present with our decline in membership. Our challenge is to direct change in a productive way and not simply resist it. It is already happening but we have lost control. There are actually promising changes in the works but we are accomplishing them at a pace that continues to leave us behind the greater
society.