Re: DISASTER PLAN (One Giant Leap For....)

Jim; points out that an irrational dues structure almost caused a collapse in
the 70bs of AIS. Considering our budget is again getting out of balance,
perhaps we need to make some choices. We can do one of three things; raise our
dues, reduce our services, or bring in more money in other ways. While I think
we should always be considering each of these I prefer the last.

I was surprised to discover yesterday yet another new plant society, the New
Ornamentals Society. Apparently this is only 2+ years old. It is totally
online, no printed bulletin. The cost of membership for an individual is $45 a
year. I suspect we undervalue our current services.  It appears our membership
does also, because I can not imagine them paying more than $25. It begs the
question, is what we are presently delivering appreciated by most of our
membership? Can we do better? Could we produce virtual services that were
worth as much or more than our present services?

Presently we have had some difficulty just making our present structures work.
The new world of technology promises to make many of our present systems work
better if we embrace it. It offers opportunities for new services. Several
plant societies are having the same discussions we have been having about
electronic membership, members only e-benefits, etc. Of course, if they do it
first, we can not be leaders but followers. If we wish to reclaim our status
as a progressive plant society, we must act quickly or again those against
change will argue once more, that we are just being followers. But even if we
do it after someone else did it, doing the right thing is important even if it
means following those groups that have presently become more innovative than
we are.