Re: Handbook Revision

In a message dated 9/30/2006 2:59:24 P.M. Central Standard Time,
eepperson@triad.rr.com writes:

For  consideration (from E. Roy Epperson, Chair, Handbook Revision
Committee):

That the following exhibition judging requirement (1998  Handbook for Judges
and Show Officials, page 68) be deleted.

"A  partially open bloom must be evaluated as a fully opened flower.   This
specimen can receive a maximum of 10 (from a possible 15) points for  form
because a partially opened flower canot be thoroughly  examined."

Roy,

What is the rationale for removing this?  And what would the alternate
"judging" position be regarding points for partially open blooms?  For as  long as
I can remember as a Judge at shows (over 50 at this time) this has been
accepted practice.  A loss of 5 points minimum for this trait means that  the rest
of the bloom stalk and flowers must be very good indeed in order for  the
cultivar to earn a blue ribbon.

I would like to see us address a position that a cultivar must point scale
90 points out of 100 to qualify for a blue, no less than 80 (possibly 85) for a
 red and 70 (possibly 75) for a white ribbon.  Other plant societies that I
am a member and judge of require minimum scales and are very strict in  their
evaluation of cultivars.  I think our current flexibility is  admirable but
way too easy, and as a result I have seen blue ribbons awarded to  substandard
specimens.  Even youth members want to earn their ribbons not  have them
"given" to them.  The kids are pretty savvy.  I would be  interested in the
perception of others to this subject.

Jim M.