Re: letter from Editor to Pries

To all participants on AISDiscuss:
     I returned home yesterday from an AIS-business trip to Southern
California and was appalled to find a clash of personalities between members of a five
person committee being posted on AISDiscuss. I will not comment on the
content. I will say with no reservations that it was an inappropriate place for this
clash to be aired.
      The purpose of AISDiscuss is to present topics for debate and
examination; a place to present new ideas and investigate possibilities for further
consideration to a broad forum of AIS leaders. Participants certainly have a
right to express an opinion about subjects posted on AISDiscuss. It is not,
however, a place for airing grievances involving committee impasses or personality
clashes.
     I wish to point this out because I think it is consummately to be
pursued that AISDiscuss not become a vehicle for personality conflicts that should
be settled elsewhere (such as an originating committee). If worst comes to
worst and no other reconciliation is possible, then conflicts should be presented
to the more private forum of voting Board members, AISVote, for assistance in
resolving the matter.
     I will remind you once again, AISDiscuss is not a place to engage in
personality clashes, motive assumptions and name calling. It is an inappropriate
place to deprecate a group or person by assigning attributes or imputing
motives to them.
     I will not use AISDiscuss any further to address this conflict, and I
hope this will be true of others as well.
          Jeanne Plank