Re: AISDiscuss Storefront Update

To Members of the AIS Board:
I would like the Board to reconsider the way it is handling my book. When
people order a book, they want to receive it--not wait for a month or two before
 it arrives. To order 50 books and stock them would initially cost a little
over  $2,400.  I would not have thought this excessive for AIS, but if the
Board  thinks it is I would be more than happy to finance the cost myself if that
is  the problem.

The 50 copy discount is 45%. But if the Board only wanted to stock 10  copies
so there was no large stock, Krieger would give a 40% discount, which  would
be $52.50 per book. This would, if 10 copies were ordered, result in an
initial inventory of $525.00. Surely AIS could stock 10 copies for future  orders.

When I was president I proposed that AIS stock Bill Shear's book and sell
it. The Board approved.  We obtained maximum discount and sold it at  near cost
as a service to members.  And we had to reorder to more than  once.

I did not write my book to make money. I wrote it to tell the early  history
of garden irises and the people who brought the iris into our gardens. I
would believe, considering the goals and purpose of AIS, that this is something
worthy of support. I am sure that no one intended it to be this way but right
now I am feeling decidedly unsupported. I ask the Board to reconsider this
matter.