A Membership Idea

The best target opportunity for increasing AIS membership are people  who
have leisure time and ample financial resources to use for leisure  activities.
That group of people is the recipient of the largest  circulation magazine in
the US, namely the AARP Magazine.

After an article appeared in our local Fairfax County newspaper about the
problem of people who retire without planning for their retirement activities
and how bored such people can become, I wrote a letter to the paper about the
opportunity for enjoying membership in a plant society, using AIS as the
example.  As a result of my letter, we gained about a dozen new AIS  members. I
tell you this only because it illustrates what potential AARP  represents for
AIS.

I suggest that the Board find someone to contact the AARP editors and
propose an article on irises as a hobby activity for retirement.  I do  not have the
time at present or I would do it. Editors are always looking  for good
articles with pretty pictures, and getting the editors to express the  type of
article they would like would go a long way to making sure the article  was
accepted for publication.

This is just an idea. Use it or ignore it, I shall not be offended. Just
trying to be useful. Have fun at the fall Board meeting. I shall be there in
spirit. Clarence