Re: Happy Iris Day (yesterday)

Susan: Dresden TN has a parade and an Iris Queen. Dave N.

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Boyce <100T@rewrite.aisboard.org>
To: aisdiscuss <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Fri, May 9, 2014 10:11 am
Subject: [AISdiscuss] Happy Iris Day (yesterday)

Hi all,
  Someone wished my husband a "Happy Iris Day" this morning, so I did some
uick research.
  In Japan they celebrate Iris Day on May 8th.  Iris flowers have spiritual
mportance.  It wards off evil spirits.  On Iris Day in Japan they put iris
eaves in their baths to prevent illness.  They also drink juice from the
lants in their Sake to ensure longevity.
  In Brussels, the iris is the symbol of the city.  They celebrate Iris Day
his year on May 10-11th.
  In Tennessee, the Iris is the state flower.
  There are also many cities in the USA that have Iris Festivals.  Keizer,
regon; Porterville, California; and Sumter, South Carolina are some of the
ities.
  Many other places and business have open houses to show off our beautiful
rises.
o, here's wishing everyone a Happy Iris Day and season.
usan Boyce
o sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary
aissecretary@irises.org>
he archives for AISDiscuss are at:
ttp://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/