From: Terry Aitken <terry@flowerfantasy.net>
Subject: RE: [AISdiscuss] Registration Images
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Date: Monday, March 14, 2011, 12:09 PM

    The idea that Mike and Anne are receiving pictures of introduction
is news to me. They have never asked and I have never sent images. Ever
since we went to a color catalog - about 15 to 20 years ago - we have
offered all of our intos with color pictures. With an average of 10 per year
(our own quota system), the 35mm slide days, I thought it was a waste of
time trying to collect images of plants UNLESS THEY WON AWARDS. I have long
thought that, like the orchid society, we should have images of plants that
are awarded. (the world is full of plants that aren't.)
    Now, in the digital age, an image can be a double edged sword. It
can show how GOOD or HOW BAD a plant can really look. Another dimension to
this is PHOTOSHOP. Enormous tricks can be played on the viewer by messaging
an image - removing faults like narrow falls or adding colors that the real
thing does not have. How much do you want to pay the computer operator to
come up with a fictitious image? (I will admit to removing leaf spot, dead
buds and torn petals on some of my images but I know it can go much farther)
In addition, color accuracy on computer screens and projectors has been a
notoriously bad problem.
    Then there is the issue of the skill of the photographer. Some
photographers are very good at hiding faults like haft marks by simply
changing the angle of the flower. How good a story does the picture tell? A
photographer, unskilled in iris evaluation, may shoot a flower partly open
or partly dead or awkwardly twisted - quite repulsive to the average iris
judge or purchaser.
    While the system is fraught with pitfalls, the concept of AN
INFORMED PUBLIC is a good one. Perhaps some of our more computer literate
irisarians can address the pitfalls?

Terry Aitken

If I have a color image to look at, I will not bother with a written
description.