Re: 2011 Convention Fundraiser

In a message dated 3/30/2010 10:45:43 P.M. Central Standard Time, aistreas@earthlink.net writes:

I did check out the Raffle ticket issue with John Baker, Chair of the Madison Convention and should have included info about this in my original e-mail...There is always something I leave out!..

John has already applied for a raffle permit at the Convention so we are OK there if we go forward in Madison.  As for selling tickets among the other states, each one will have to check on this if they have not already done so.  California also requires a permit to sell raffle tickets.  Perhaps most Regions already know what their state's requirements are if they have done any fundraising themselves at their Region or affiliate meetings over the years.

Keep those comments and questions coming!!!

Jill

Raffles are considered a form of gambling and are governed by each individual state.  In Missouri, a constitutional amendment was approved in 1998 to allow raffles by charitable and religious organizations.  Region 18 has held raffles for years although possibly illegally in Missouri.  A resource to check on rules in the various states is accessible via www.raffleticket.com.

Jim M.