Re: 2013 AIS Convention

In a message dated 3/27/2010 1:48:05 P.M. Central Standard Time, robertpries@embarqmail.com writes:
A cautionary note. The North American Rock Garden Society (NARGS) finances its own conventions and runs them, but the chapters carry out the convention details like our affiliates.
And the cost is very high.  Quite frankly, I have never gone to the NARGS conventions because I thought the cost was excessive.

I would point out that the American Daffodil Society finances and runs its own convention each year as well, also significantly higher in cost than AIS conventions.  The local St. Louis daffodil club, led at that time by Jason Delaney of MOBOT, completely upset their routine when we ran the 2005 ADS Convention in St. Louis (just before the 2005 AIS Convention).  But they wouldn't allow us to lower the price as far as we wanted, thus they made a huge profit.  Also only about 75 - 100 people normally attend ADS Conventions, while we had over 200 (we used the same hotel, bus company, etc. as the iris tour).  But then again the ADS leadership and a preponderance of their small membership have no interest in garden tours -- their only interest is on the show bench.  We had the temerity to have guest daffodil plantings and garden tours as most of our membership had experience with iris and daylily tours.

Jim M.

Jim M.