Re: was 2013 Vision for future

Until our membership has a clear idea of where the society is headed and how it needs to get there and what it wants to accomplish along the way, I think it will be a rough road. I am not casting blame at others, because I am our the strategic planning committee and take some responsibility for where we are. But our goals for the organization really have never been vocalized for many years. It seems often we are headed in many directions and no directions. Case in point there was never any agreement on a mission statement for the organization. No one was able to create something that most could agree on.

in the early days of the society there were goals that were clear. Naming of Iris was a mess and the registration system, and test gardens, and checklists all were part of straightening out those problems. We face similar problems today with the internet offering many plants to consumers but fraudulaently sending whatever they want. I have heard of people ordering Tall-bearded Irises on E-bay and getting a bag of Dutch Iris bulbs. More and more nurseries seem to feel free to just offer plants under any names they think are attractive whether they true or not. I believe a great part of this is due to our relative lack of presence on the internet where more and more commerce is taking place. We have deferred to others on the net the task of being the educational source of Iris information. But even though we are beginning to tackle this, I have yet to see a clear shared vision of what is the purpose of the Iris Society. Is the purpose of an Iris show to inform the public or to win ribbons? Do the garden awards we give have any impact on how gardeners choose what to plant? I do not disagree that our collective talents and knowledge is enormous but it seems to not be applied.

----- Original Message -----
From: JCoates694@aol.com
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 8:01:12 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] was 2013 AIS Convention,Execdirector

There is so very much passion, knowledge, experience, & talent on this BOD that we definitely are correct in looking to the future, rather that just "worrying about survival."

Jerry Coates, Associate Broker, GRI
Direct: 301-663-1113
Cell: 301-606-1895
Fax: 301-644-2663
Website:  http://JerryCoates.Realtor.com

Specializing in Frederick Real Estate, since 1972!

Real Estate Teams, LLC.
O:301-695-3020
Suite 400
50 Citizens Way