Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] 2013 AIS Convention

In a message dated 3/26/2010 6:52:13 A.M. Central Standard Time, hager@aredee.com writes:
Paul,
As the "organizational gadfly", I believe the difficulty in finding a
location for the AIS convention is structural. Except for your expertise in
lining up conventions and assisting the host organization, the input from
the AIS is minimal. Putting a convention, regional or "mini" convention
together is a monumental task with a very steep learning curve. Each step is
critical and requires the participation of able and willing volunteers. Add
to that all the fiefdoms that exist with the AIS and the sponsoring
organization. It doesn't take long to figure out that when we ask a Region
or Club to host a convention, we are asking someone to walk through a
minefield blindfolded.

Dennis, (and all)

You make some good points as a gadfly.  It is a huge task to chair and run a Convention for AIS.  Been there, done that.  It does take willing volunteers -- several of them in the hosting affiliate/region.  And the length of the conventions has become expensive, both in time and cost to the attendees.

Of the "successful" organizations you mention, how many are non-profit?  Or non-career, non-professional organizations?  I know lots of successful for profit, professional career related organizations.  I once ran a one-week long professional career convention in Chicago with attendance of 8,000 people.  The hook was professional career and the potential to improve your self in your profession.  People will pay for that.  Will iris people pay for flower conventions?  I understand that Wisconsin's goal is 400 attendees (about 10%).  The largest AIS Convention attendance I have discovered was 827 in 1959 in Oklahoma City when our membership was 8,000, so that was again about 10%.

I have always been optimistic about AIS and guess I don't see the "fiefdoms" you are referencing.  Unless you are referring to the Sections and Co-operating Societies who do have their special focuses and agendas.

AIS does need to do more Strategic Planning and make the changes to adapt to the modern world.  Talking about it is important but we need some sort of action plan for the future.  And the consideration of an Executive Director as suggested by Jerry Coates is something that DID work for a while when AIS had 8,000 members.  The AIS Executive Offices were administered out of Memphis, TN by two or three people in the early 1950s, then from 1957-1977 with one full-time paid person in St. Louis.  It ended with AIS almost going bankrupt as the membership started a long term decline in numbers.  We are now at 4,000 members and I don't believe we have anyway near the funding to consider a full-time paid director.

However, in the short-term I would like others' opinions about an Educational Convention, no guest planting, possible optional tours to existing gardens, or not, and a shortened length of time for the convention.  We have this short-term problem that needs a solution first.  I await comments.  Please don't get hung up on a paid director for now.

Jim M.