Re: Motion regarding purchase of Magazine Binders

It is very easy to take a bulletin to an office store and get them drilled with holes and purchase a three ring binder and to then make your own cover I do this with other AIS section publications and see no reason why we should offer something that is easily done. On the other hand you can not go to a office store and get a printed magazine binder if you wanted to. That has to be contracted for. The point is not to reduce options but to create more options. No one is insisting that those that do not want to spend the money do so. But the logic of not offering something because some, even most people would not want it seems sad. It only would take the sale of 114 binders at the $12 price to break even. There are many members that would probably order two. So if the majority who do not want it, would wish to keep the minority (which could be as low as 60 people with no cost to AIS) from having it, than I think that would be sad. Just because one person does not like yellow irises that does not mean the rest of us should stop growing them. This is why I suggested a pre-printing off to see if we could get the 114 sales need to make this a no cost to AIS venture. It does not take away other people options to treat the magazine however they wish. Those that just throw it away should not care what the rest of us do with it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "K Brewitt" <just1moreiris@gmail.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 8:16:36 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Motion regarding purchase of Magazine Binders

For the record, they were the wire-type binders.
However, having read Cheryl Deaton's note, I will mention that one of our members was rather incensed to think that after the AIS changed the format of its Bulletin it would ask its members spend more money to buy binders to store them.  He suggested the Bulletin come with 3-holes for storing in a binder like The Medianite.  This way members who choose to save their bulletins can recycle old binders or buy cheap ones from the dollar-store.  And I thought he made a good point when he asked, how many actually save their bulletins in this throw away world?
I wonder how many others feel like this member and how many feel like Cheryl's members i.e. they won't buy?
What if RVPs or Affiliate Presidents were asked to poll their members to see if there is a market?
Kate