Re: Scanner for the AIS Library

Even though Jim withdrew his motion I do not find where Jeanne has withdrawn her second.  Until she does, the motion is still on the table.  It is scheduled to go to vote on March 6.  If Jeanne withdraws her second than a new motion can be made.

Michelle

On 3/3/2010 9:59 AM, Rita Gormley wrote:
Jim, there is still a motion on the table and we can't proceed with any other business until it is withdrawn or modified. "one motion at a time"

 Michelle, what is current status?

Rita
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Scanner for the AIS Library

In a message dated 3/2/2010 12:13:34 A.M. Central Standard Time, irislynn@willitsonline.com writes:
Ok.
Lynn
-----Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:54 PM
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org

In a message dated 2/28/2010 11:11:50 P.M. Central Standard Time, irislynn@willitsonline.com writes:
Jim Morris,

Would you be willing to modify your motion to indicate the purchase of a
durable high-quality scanner suitable for heavy use and multiple types of
documents, and not specify the brand or type?

Lynn Williams
I want to hear from the Librarian first.

Jim M.

Date:  3/1/2010 11:47:19 A.M. Central Standard Time
What is best for the Library is a high resolution flatbed scanner.  preferable 2400 DPI or better.    one that does 8½' X 14" would be the best size.   What we do most is copy from printed editions of books and newsletters and only occasionally a few sheets.  Most of the requests are for material from these books and magazines that are archived in the library.

To the question of slides ...there are some at  the library ,  Rita Gormley has some as well as others that are supposed to be scanned and put on disks and we have set up a way of naming each slide to be consistant.    The librarian does not have the time to scan all slides nor do I want her to try...this should be done as a large committee with lots of volunteers making at least two disks of the slides that they each convert with one copy being sent to the library to archive for future use and for requests.  We can make a list and keep them in alphabetical order.

I have looked around and as near as I can see a gook scanner for library use should cost between $300-$400 dollars and no more.

Will
William Plotner

All,

I will withdraw my motion and defer to someone else to make a more appropriate motion, if desired, based on the previous discussion.  As a passing question, How many slides are in the AIS Library?  I don't recall that we ever received any answers to the Nov-Dec discussion/questions as to an inventory of the library.

Jim M.