Re: President Elect

Sorry, I accidently clicked on "Send" before I finished.

There is no need for a first-vice-president-elect because the first-vice-president does not need to have committee chairs ready to hit the road running immediately after the fall board meeting.

Gerry
On 6/15/2015 11:05 AM, Robert Pries wrote:
I too agree that Gary is very qualified and would make a great president of AIS. But I do not remember us doing this for previous presidents. Let me point out that this point, if in the bylaws, does not make sense. Every office is voted on at the fall meeting including the president. Why would there be singled out president elect for Spring meeting? That would assume that the office of Vice-president does not mean anything. Of course the 1st vice president would be changing positions to president in the fall, but this is true of the second vice president alsoÂwho would become 1st vice-president. So why would we not approve the 1st vice-president elect also. In fact all of the board positions are approved again in the fall so carrying this logic onÂwe have the absurd situation that each is in theory a position elect. I think this makes no sense accept in a situation where an officer is not intending to move forward and would have to be replaced in the fall.--Bob Pries

From: "Jim Morris" <1005@rewrite.aisboard.org>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 1:42:41 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] President Elect

All,
I certainly agree that Gary White is eminently qualified to become our next president.Â
My copy of the Bylaws (October 15, 1997) does not have this provision regarding a President-elect in it. Can someone enlighten me as to when this came about and why? AIS is a non-profit corporation and as such the board of directors elects its officers for one-year terms with the president serving not more than three consecutive one-year terms. When I was "elected" as President-elect I didn't understand why then and still don't. I didn't do anything different than serving as first vice-president. ??? Just asking...
Jim Morris
President
American Iris Society