RE: AIS Website Goals and Suggestions

Hi all,
   I have to disagree with Bob's statement that we had an unsatisfactory
result.  The website has served us well since it was redone.  Yes, there was
some adjustments in finding the information, but there is always an adjustment
period when changes are done and some people find it hard.  Just like when a
grocery store moves all of the food around to a new location in a store, it
takes some time to relocate where your stuff is now located.
   The opening page of the website is now an attractive site with rotating
iris pictures to entice you to look further.  The old website was plain and
boring.
  The last time we started to totally redo the website the cost was estimated
at $8,000.  If we were to totally redo the site, the cost would be far about
the 10 grand mark.  An amount that the AIS could not realistically afford.
   In my opinion a minor upgrade to the website that would allow easier
navigation, that comes out of the Electronic Services Restricted Fund, not the
AIS fund, would be an affordable welcome change in assisting our members to
search for what they need.
Susan Boyce

> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 09:21:56 -0400
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
> Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] AIS Website Goals and Suggestions
> From: 101p@rewrite.aisboard.org
>
> As I showed before AIS is performing quite well in respect to other plant
society websites. I wanted to share the following ALEXA ratings. Remember
lower is better. Alexa does not rate sites that get too little traffic to
measure. That is why most of the AIS sections are not listed. But what is
listed gives some idea of their relative importance on the internet. As John
pointed out there are analytic tools that can tell us what pages of the AIS
website are most visited. It seems to me before we go about redesigning the
menu it would be nice to get a better understanding of how the AIS website is
used. I do not think quantity of traffic is the only parameter that should be
considered. How do we want people to use the website (Perhaps how does it
attract new members)? How can it best serve existing members? I believe we
should work on gathering some of this information before we proceed in the
same way we did the last time that gave us an unsatisfactory result. We have
gone se!
>  veral years without a correction I do not think we should rush into a quick
fix. It is an opportunity to do more/better.