Re: Good News

Good work Bob. As all ways. Geo. Boyce

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Pries <robertpries@embarqmail.com>
To: AISdiscuss <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Wed, Jun 26, 2013 7:56 am
Subject: [AISdiscuss] Good News

I have lots of good news!! After months of anguishing and agonizing over the
impending move of the Iris Encyclopedia to a new server, it is done. Thanks
Tim Valenzuela and Chris Lindsey the move was accomplished without ever
taking
the wiki down but it was in read only mode for a couple of weeks. Now
everything should be operational.

Tim has proven to be very helpful and has made some suggestions that will
make
the wiki even faster, even though its speed is already greatly improved. I
asked Tim for a count of images on the Encyclopedia and discovered there are
over 200,000 now. Wow! Our wiki workers have been busy. But, he also noted
that there were settings in place that were preventing Google web crawlers
and
other search engines from recording our site and fixed that. Now more and
more
searches for a particular Iris will find the Iris Encyclopedia. Look for more
and more people discovering AIS!

With success, also comes, problems. Robots continue to place pages on the
site. Because of the site structure users never see them. But it is annoying
to find them in administrative areas and we have been deleting them.
Presently
there are, only a couple, to a handful, each day, but as usage grows so will
threats. To alleviate these we may have to delete all user names that do not
follow the new format of FirstnameLastname. These people which is probably
less then 10%, will have to reregister.
B  Now we can get back to work. Expect the wiki to continue to improve. I am
eager to hear your ideas. I went to Wikipedia and noted they have a donation
link on the left sidebar of their home page. I followed it to the donation
landing page and really thought the way it is laid out is great. I would like
to do the same for the Encyclopedia. I would like your opinions.