Re: Electronic Voting

I have interspersed my comments in Jill's message below.

John

On Jun 13, 2009, at 11:01 PM, Jill Bonino wrote:

Hi John and All,

I agree with others so far that we continue further discussion/
research of the
costs and implementation of our own Eballot system.

A $5,500 total cost for a system the AIS owns is far better than
shelling out
$3500 or more per year ad infinitum for the system you and Ruth
described at
the Spring meeting.  Do you have any idea at this point how much
the annual
maintenance of the program would be once it is up and running?

I don't know that we will need a maintenance contract. If we want new
features that would be a new contract. Bug fixes should show up in
the first year. If we do the design and testing correctly we can
minimize those problems. Maintenance contracts are generally meant to
cover ongoing enhancements for a program that is undergoing
continuing development and allow the purchaser to acquire those
enhancements at a reasonable cost.

Could it be
created and beta tested in time to use it for the 2010 ballot season?

I think so, assuming we move on it expeditiously.

Would
the $5,500 approximate cost include all "bug" fixing that could
come up after
implementation?

Yes for a contracted amount of time (my goal would be a year). But, a
comprehensive testing program should discover any errors. However an
error in our requested design criteria, would constitute a change
order and an additional charge.

Would the Electronic Services Committee be in charge of
setting the written specifications for the system?

The Awards Chair should have the final say that the design will meet
the Awards Committee needs and yes I will be very much involved as
will Ruth.

I think we would also need to have a manual backup system for those
judges and
members who will not be able to vote electronically,... OR do we
want to make
voting manditory electronically once we have a system in place?

To me that is a "phased in implementation" issue, and yes I agree
that we will probably need some hard ballots for a number of years.

Overall, I think an electronic system for voting is the way to go.
The future
is here and it is the computer.  It is becoming more of a necessity
every year
to have one to conduct our personal and business business.

Jill