To: <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 9:48 AM
Subject: [AISdiscuss] AIS PayPal Webpage

When we process a PayPal (PP) payment we are charged 2.9% of the transaction value plus $.30 per transaction. Foreign currency transactions cost an additional 2.5% A multiple subscription transaction gets only a single transaction fee. ($.30).

The question is how much do we remit to the other societies.

We need to establish a standard as to how we charge the Sections and Cooperating Societies.

I propose that we charge each non-AIS subscription the 2.9% and the $.30 transaction fee. That is the same amount that a Section and Cooperating Societie would be charged if they had their own PayPal service. This approach would allow Tom to use a simple lookup table to see how much to remit to the other group. It would mean that we would "earn" an additional $.30 for each subscription that came as part of a multiple subscription transaction.

The same rate would apply to any non-AIS subscription that came in as a single transaction.

The alternative would require Tom to calculate a separate charge for each subscription that came in as part of a multiple subscription transaction and distribute the Transaction Fee across all the subscriptions in a single transaction.

In a separate discussion Tom Gormley has pointed out:

The existing arrangement we have with accepting credit card charges for Offshore non-AIS Members and domestic AIS/Section members is that we currently do not pass on the fees involved with these charges. This is based on AIS Policy (see below) which is silent on the subject.

It costs us $1.02 to process a $25.00 charge for AIS Members but since most Section charges are about 30% of that I think we should continue to provide this service gratis as a warm fuzzy to the Sections and Co-ops. As Electronic payments (and membership) develop and grow we can then revisit this issue. If we choose to charge them from the get-go how do we handle our existing methodology on Section payments?

As far as I can tell through a search of the AIS minutes from 1988 thru 2003 the only mention of the Membership Secretary accepting credit card transactions is in Oct '97 when M. Harlow reported that she had sent out new ITJs that indicated the AIS would accept credit card transactions. There is no mention (that I could find) of whether AIS should or should not absorb the fee for a credit card transaction. There may have been a policy decision, but I cannot find mention of it.

I propose (although I can't make this as a motion) that we no longer absorb the credit card charges for subscriptions to Sections and Cooperating Societies submitted to the membership office and that PayPal charges be deducted from the amounts remitted to the Sections and Cooperating Societies for subscriptions submitted thru the AIS PayPal page. If Sections and Cooperating Societies so choose they can specify an additional charge for credit card or PayPal payments.

THE AMERICAN IRIS SOCIETY
CURRENT AIS MEMBERSHIP OFFICE POLICY CONCERNING
ACCEPTING DUES FOR SECTIONS AND COOPERATING SOCIETIES

MARCH, 2002

PLEASE FILE FOR REFERENCE AND PLEASE ENSURE THAT ONLY CORRECT INFORMATION IS PUBLISHED TO YOUR MEMBERS

The AlS Membership Office will accept dues for Sections and Cooperating Societies when tendered by AIS members simultaneously with their AIS dues and paid either by check, money order, or Visa or MasterCard.

All dues collected on behalf of Sections or Cooperating Societies are forwarded by the AlS Membership Office to the appropriate recipients during the first week of the month subsequent to the month in which they were received by the Membership Office.

As a special gesture of support to the Sections and Cooperating Societies, the AlS Membership Office will accept dues from members of these groups living outside the USA who are not also tendering AlS dues simultaneously, including those who are not AlS members, when those
persons pay with either Visa or MasterCard.

Members of Sections or Cooperating Societies who live within the USA and who are not paying AIS dues simultaneously should always send their check for renewal directly to the membership chairman of the appropriate Section or Cooperating Society.

The AIS Membership Office does not accept charge payments for special contributions to the Sections or Cooperating Societies.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending:
Subscribe iris