From: CEMahan@aol.com
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org; AISdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 06:48:35 EDT
Subject: [AISdiscuss] Re: AIS Finances

Dear friends:

During most of the long history of AIS it had no insurance program. When  the
AIS insurance program started, it made sense because the insurance was so
inexpensive at the national level. The cost of the insurance program is no
longer inexpensive. It is now threatening the existence of AIS. Of course local

societies like the program--everyone likes things that are "free."

When a company is confronted with soaring cost, it either has to reprice  its
product or eliminate the item that is theatening its existence. Many
companies have had to decrease or eliminate their health coverage of employees
because of the soaring cost of medical insurance. AIS has repriced its product
(increased dues), but that is only one more factor that will lead to greater
membership decline.

I do not like to have to write this, but the current AIS insurance cost is
going to sink AIS if something radical is not done. Raising the dues again is
not a rational option. Dipping into the life membership reserves is also not
an  option. The cost of insurance is not going to go down; it is only going up.
It  is my suggestion that the Board seriously consider converting the
insurance  program from one that provides the insurance to one that provides the

information on how local societies and sections can purchase  insurance.

 Clarence