Re: First report from the CAPS Conference

On May 1st I sent the email below:

> Recently both AOL and Yahoo have taken steps to protect users from spoofed email attacks.
>
> Unfortunately, this policy also breaks email mailing lists like
> AISDiscuss@aisboard.org and means that AOL and Yahoo users that send email to
> AISDiscuss will have their email rejected by AOL and Yahoo - meaning the other
> AOL and Yahoo addresses on AISDiscuss will not receive their email.
>
> If you really want the details you can read all about it at:
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2141120/yahoo-email-antispoofing-policy-breaks
> -mailing-lists.html

(in the mean time we have learned that mail sent through virtually all list processors will be rejected by AOL and Yahoo and any other email service that checks for SPF violations in email.

> There are two solutions:
>
> 1: Require that anyone on AISDiscuss (and by implication AISVote and
> AISConfer)
> must have an email address that is not an AOL.com or Yahoo.com address.
>
> or
>
> 2: We are working on a fix that may on may not be viable. Chris (our host at
> asiboard.org) has a solution for which we are working out the details).

Then Chris came up with a solution and on May 8th I sent out the following email

> You will notice that all AISDiscuss messages now come with a funny "From" address - a number like 1004 followed by @rewrite.aisboard.org
>
> This is not spam or some hack. It is the process that we have invoked to get around the nonsense that AOL and Yahoo have imposed on email and to allow us to continue to use our email lists.
>
> Just reply as usual and message will go where they are supposed to.
>
> Be sure to sign your messages so readers know who they come from.

Most email programs will allow the reader to see the original sender as well as the re-write address. I guess in some cases AOL does not, but that may be a configuration issue for AOL users.

We did this so AOL members of AISDiscuss ad AISVote could continue to received the email.

Setting up an automatic "Signature" in your email is easy with most current email programs and has been for years. That way you never have to remember to sign your name, the program does it for you (like my signature below - surely no one thinks I type that in on every email…)

Thanks

John
John and Joanne Jones
Registrar-Recorders, American Iris Society
aisregistrar@irises.org

John Jones, Chairman, Electronic Services Committee
aiselectronicsvcs@irises.org

35572 Linda Drive
Fremont, CA 94536