Re: Sad News

Gerry,

The In Memoriam listing in the AIS Bulletin Irises always lists  all
deceased members reported to Tom Gormley, our Membership Secretary.  So  we always
have a quarterly report of deceased members as  reported.  Occasionally
when a member dies in a nursing home (or their  membership has lapsed) we don't
find out for a year or more, i.e. Archie Owen,  Emma Hobbs, etc.

I attended the wake last week of Melody Wilhoit in Kansas, IL.  She  was
only 66.  She, as well as husband Jerry, was born, raised and lived her  whole
life in Kansas, a farming community town of 800 people.  Jean and I  were
the only iris people there but half the town must have turned out as it  took
about 30 minutes in line to reach Jerry.  In a subdued way it was  sort of
like being in line for a rock concert but without the crazies.  We  also
reconnected with their two sons Jason and Justin who had been AIS  youth
members.  I will miss Melody's easy smile and friendship.

Jim Morris
President
American Iris Society

In a message dated 7/2/2014 12:22:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
7e2de1ee1@rewrite.aisboard.org writes:

On  7/2/2014 3:41 AM, Robert Pries wrote:
> It is with a sad heart that I  must announce the loss yet another of our
> dedicated irisarians.  Angelique Violette passed away....

Yes, a bad year indeed.

It  occurs to me, as I work at getting a reminder email ready to send to
all  judges who haven't voted, that it would be very useful if there were
a  list of recent passings on the web page or wiki or.... Short bios
could be  included.

I would prefer to have a single place to look for people who  should not
get the emails (and I think others would find the list useful  in many
other ways). I am aware of Angelique, Mike Lowe, and Eileen  Fiumara, but
there may be others.

Gerry  Snyder