Re: July AIS Bulletin for Emembers

Clarence,

The AIS members (you and me included) passed the appropriate Bylaws changes
 that defined and implemented the e-membership category in 2011.  It
resulted from committee work and was discussed to death at a board meeting
before being presented to the general membership for approval.

Despite yeoman efforts by many board members to reduce AIS costs, we have
operated under a deficit budget for about five years.  Long-time Life
members have had their dues accrued (used up) for quite some time and are  in
effect "getting a free ride" and that is okay, but must be willing to  help on
new services. The online registration database irisregister, has  been from
its inception, a SERVICE that was paid for separately from any  AIS
Membership class.   AIS Life Members were not given gratis  subscriptions to
irisregister. They had to pay from the beginning. AIS  could not have developed it
if not for the Electronic Services Restricted  Fund (ESRF) developed by
money from the Geek Dinner auction. Since  that time the irisregister fees have
covered their own costs and provided  additional funding for other
electronic services projects and  enhancements.  But AIS could not afford the OCR
scanning of past Bulletins  so we were fortunate that the AIS Foundation paid
for it, I believe around  $18,000.  The big point is that our existing
membership dues structure  doesn't pay for the benefits received.  Do we want to
raise the dues  to the $40 that would sustain us?  I don't think so as I
believe that we  would lose even more members just when it looks like we have
started  increasing.  Maybe the current $30 dues and $10 electronic services
(emembership) is more appropriate.

John Jones pointed out  that:  To provide a basis of value for the AIS
E-Membership irisregister  was made part of the E-Membership. The then current
subscribers to irisregister  were made AIS E-Members. The subscription fee
for irisregister had been $10.00  per year since it was made a paid-for
service in September of 2003. In light of  that and that the Board wished to
enhance e-services with the addition of more  electronic content, the Board set
the annual fee for E-Membership at $15.00. No  discounts for multiple year
subscriptions were established.

 The big point is that our existing membership dues structure doesn't  pay
for all the benefits received.  Do we want to raise the dues to  the $40
that would sustain us?  Do we want to decrease the Bulletin to  three issues
from four?  I don't think so as I believe that we would lose  even more
members just when it looks like we have started increasing.   Maybe $30 dues and
$10 electronic services (emembership) is more  appropriate.

Perhaps we should re-address the issue at our fall board meeting in
November.  Suggestions and/or proposals would be welcomed.  We would  like for
those who have responded here to be part of the solution not the  problem.

Thank you for reading this.  Please help us out.

Jim

In a message dated 7/30/2012 2:20:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,