RE: Ideas for getting new AIS members

We have done something similar with "new introductions with purchase of
triennial memberships", "free section mmberships", etc.  Variations on a
theme, but I am not sure how many new/returning members we gained with these
promotions.  The suggestion to do a "song and dance" and sign up new members
at presentations and regional meetings is an excellent one that I will pass on
the the RVPs.  Having a form with a stamped envelope addressed to Tom Gormley
is an excellent idea as well.
Cheryl Deaton

> Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:06:11 -0400
> From: robertpries@embarqmail.com
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
> Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Ideas for getting new AIS members
>
> Susan this is really good information. One can feel the enthusiasm that the
Daylily people have for their society. I hope we have some for ours also.

AHS
> [...]
>
> AIS Director
>

> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:44:59 -0700
>
> From: Charlie Dorsey <daylilyroundrobin@YAHOO.COM>
>
> Subject: TEN new AHS members
>

> I wanted to tell you about the success I had in attracting new members for
> AHS. This was a variation of something Phil Reilly told me about getting
new
> members. Possibly some others might like to try it.
>

> I told my master gardener's group that they could dig as many daylilies as
> they wanted in a certain area of my field for free. The only catch was that
> they had to fill out a membership form and give me a check made out to AHS
> for $25.00. For that $25.00 I stated that they would get 4 issues of a
great
> daylily magazine and a voucher worth $25.00 off daylilies ordered from some
> daylily vendors. Ten people took me up on the offer. It was so fun to see
> them drive up because they had never seen a 3 acre field full of daylilies.
> They went nuts.
>
> One came back a 2nd day with a friend, check, and membership form.
>

> I'm sure there are some variations of this that could be attempted. Just
> think if we could get 100 or 1000 of us to do something similar.
>

> Charlie Dorsey www.TheDaylilyAddict.com
>
> SE Ohio Zone 6
>

> ------------------------------
>

> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:35:10 -0400
>
> From: Mary Collier Fisher <mfisher@RICS.BWH.HARVARD.EDU>
>
> Subject: Re: TEN new AHS members/Region 4 Meeting/Trial Memberships
>

> Mary Collier Fisher here with a beautiful New England summer day - not too
> hot, not too cold, not too humid - but sunny with a breeze and just right.
> Walpole, Massachusetts, AHS Region 4, Zone 5
>

> Hats off to Charlie for coming up with an absolutely super idea and
carrying
> it off with such superb results. Wow ten new members is fantastic!
>

> Pat Mercer, our AHS Executive Secretary has been busy processing new
> memberships, renewals and trial memberships that have been pouring
>
> in. Those of you who attended the convention may have heard me
>
> remark that we only needed around 450 members to join or renew between June
> and August to start to increase the number as of AHS members for the first
> time in nine years. As of the last count that Pat sent out as of July 24th
> the number needed had dropped to only
>
> 156. 33 people had decided to try the new trial membership for
>
> this year for only $15 - signing up by this month gets them two issues of
> the fabulous Daylily Journal and full access to the Members only portal -
> www.daylilynetwork.org, and if they renew next year they will get an AHS
> Voucher that essentially pays for the
>
> membership. Seems like a good deal to me.
>

> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:11:21 -0700
>
> From: Bill Maryott <bill@DAYLILYGARDEN.NET>
>
> Subject: New Membership Idea
>

> Bill Maryott Corralitos CA (Marketing Director for the AHS)
>

> Kyle Billadeau from MN decided he would "invent" a method of getting new
AHS