Re: Electronic potential

Cheryl: Thanks. i actuallly do appreciate your playing the devils advocate at times because I often think we do not discuss and understand our goals adequately. I have explained some of the things the daylily society has done and is doing before. I actually had a membership project of theirs that I wanted to have discussed at the last board meeting but there was no time. They have tried things and made mistakes along with successes and the more we can pay attention to what works and doesnt work for other groups the less our risks are in trying new things. If you remember I predicted that we would have more advertizing dollars when we changed the format of the bulletin based on what the daylily society experienced. That prediction came true immediately. Of course if Bob Keup had not followed through it could have not worked. But when things are done well there are synergisms.

----- Original Message -----
From: "cheryl deaton" <region15kids@hotmail.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 11:43:37 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: RE: [AISdiscuss] Electronic potential

Bob,
Excellent information!  I do think you are a little overly enthusiastic about the initial numbers, which I think would be closer to 10% of AIS membership, but as you pointed out, the potential is there to increase membership from the plant community and garner more iris enthusiasts!  And as the 'younger' gardening generation continues to use the internet as their primary source for information, AIS needs to be available for them as THE primary source of iris information, not DG!  I am not sure about the philanthropic gesture part of membership, especially with the economy continuing to be sluggish, but it remains a possibility.  If we look at the Daylily Society, and other plant societies, and DG, find out what works, we could use the information to our advantage.  Service needs to be in the forefront of anything we do.  You've brought up some very good points.
Cheryl